A child is a child

Another falls asleep,
while she nurses her child,
and he draws the last drop of milk
that he can get.
She lets the baby drink,
do as he wishes,
as long as she can sleep,
exhausted after the day’s chores.
Every time he screams,
she presses him to her breast
to quiet him down,
before her sleepless night
turns into day.
A mother is a mother,
and a baby is a baby,
and morning comes too soon.
**
That is life

He was puffing on his cigarette,
and gazing into the far horizon,
between thoughts
and doubtful questions.
There was no harmony
between what he saw
and what he heard.
That is Life …
full of contradictions…
it is all about banks , usurers
and foreign exchange.
**
Deadly fall

If you fall from the height of a hill,
you might get slight injuries
If you fall off a small height,
you could get some bruises,
but no fractures
If you tumble off a high tower
and do not die,
then it is written that your fate to
survive.
But if you topple from the height of your
ideals, or your conscience falls
from its standards,
that is the true and deadly fall
the deadly fall …
**
The student

Every day,
I carry all kind of books
and go through the morning’s stations.
I sit behind a desk,
reading and writing.
I ask questions, and
answer .
Hours and days pass…
How many have passed?
How long shall I walk with the herd?
The job : is nothing but a new slavery.
Marriage and children : nothing
but one act in the drama of life.
The days and the years
speed by as a warning
to step down from the stage,
to reach the end of destiny.
**
Hailstones

Every time a storm hits,
and hailstones begin to fall on
the plants and. thaw,
the soil is happy,
as the roots of every plant
are generously nourished.
**
Happiness

Happiness makes me laugh,
makes me cry,
and makes me want to renounce
everything but you.
I close my eyes
on everything
and feel your warm touch
blazing around forever
in my veins
forever …
**
Life is give and take

We are indebted:
to the flowers and the birds,
to the sun and the moon,
to the springs and rivers,
to honeybees and lambs,
to farms and nurseries
Life is give and take.
And yet, how can we pay her back,
since we always take
and never give anything in return?
**
Freedom

When freedom is absent
the eyes of thoroughbreds will fill with
tears,
women of the world breathe inside
their skin,
and the unfamiliar
mixes with the familiar.
**
I return

I always return
From an earthy paradise
That is filled with vitality and beauty.
I return to a routine life,
and ossified friendships.
I come back to the mechanical
monotonous and to the monetarist life,
to the matter-of-fact,
to a treacherous world.
I come back,
to an affluence
that does not please me,
and a society that I do not embrace, and
that does not embrace me.
I return to live without a thread of hope,
or a stream of dream,
or a crawling baby
within the walls…
I miss my family,
I miss my neighbourhood,
and the warmth of belonging…
So why do I return?
**
Beirut, the open city

Beirut …
O my distressed city,
you are stunning and…
the most dazzling city.
They stole your warm smile,
and ran off with your freedom.
They left you moaning
from your deep wounds,
and they searching
for their pastime fun
in a different city as cast off.
Hanging around
Now you will prosper again,
and claim back your good name:
in an open city in a closed world.
You welcome life,
open your sturdy wings,
dress your wounds…
Welcoming
those returning
remorseful residents.
**

Turn the page